Vehicle Safety Guidelines
Santa CRUZ PRIDE PARADE
Drivers: Check in at Church & Pacific and have vehicle parked by 9:00am.
Consider the mix of traffic at a parade: walkers, bicycles, dancers, jugglers, skaters, marching bands, jay walkers. They're all excited and distracted by the pageantry. Which is why you must be extra vigilant!
Here are a few rules to keep everyone safe.
- Strict 5mph speed limit.
- NO passing of other vehicles or marchers.
- Maintain a minimum of 10 feet clearance in front and back of your vehicle at all times, even within your own contingents. If any vehicle, person or object is within the 10-foot clearance area ahead of or behind your vehicle, BRING YOUR VEHICLE TO A COMPLETE STOP IMMEDIATELY. Wait for it/them to move out of your clearance area before you start moving again.
- Maintain a minimum 5 feet clearance area to the sides of your vehicle at all times, even within your own contingent. MOST PARADE ACCIDENTS OCCUR AT THE SIDE OF A VEHICLE. If any vehicle, person or object is within the 5-foot clearance area to either side of your vehicle, BRING YOUR VEHICLE TO A STOP IMMEDIATELY. Wait for it/them to move out of your clearance area before you start to move again.
- All vehicles tires must remain in contact with the road at all times (no wheelies). Motorcycles can ride maximum two side by side. Motor cyclists must wear helmets.
- Marchers, dancers, observers and other pedestrians marching with vehicles must maintain the clearance distances at all times; 10 feet front and rear and 5 feet sides. Be aware of pedestrians ON ALL SIDES of your vehicle at all times. If any vehicle, person or object is within the clearance area in front, back, or side of your vehicle, BRING YOUR VEHICLE TO A COMPLETE STOP IMMEDIATELY. Drivers need to pay particular attention to people, such as dancers, who are likely to fall in the path of their vehicle.
- Communicate and cooperate with the trained Vehicle Monitors assigned to your vehicle. If they direct you to bring your vehicle to a stop, do so immediately. They may be aware of a situation or safety problem you cannot see. When they direct you to move your vehicle forward again, then proceed.
- Follow the parade route to the end. You will turn right on Cathcart Street. If needed you can turn into a parking spot long enough to unload passengers. Then, continue forward on Church Street to the three-way stop at Cedar Street. When you turn left or right onto Cedar Street you will be off the parade route and back in regular traffic.
Thank you for making this a safe, happy and nonviolent event. Enjoy!